Saturday, October 12, 2013

DIY Breast Feeding Cover: Dria

I've been busy doing research on alternatives to the "Hooter Hiders" for breastfeeding covers because it is uncomfortable for me to have things around my neck.  So I came across the Dria, which is basically a poncho that can be used for both breastfeeding and a carseat cover to block the baby from the sun. 

But...they are $80, which is way too high for my budget.

So I made my own...it was super simple, with no sewing involved, and only cost me $15!!!  

I used the same fabric that I made the fitted sheet for my bassinet, to save money on shipping for fabric...and took the following steps:



I bought Jersey fabric, so that it would be stretchy and breathable for the baby!

I cut off the edges with the label, and just measured by looks for my upper body length.


I took a shirt that had a wide neck to be a model of how to cut the neck for the Dria.

And that's it...no sewing, just a few simple cuts.  I wanted it to fit off the shoulders, just because!

You can easily stretch this over a carseat and tie each open end.

Viola!  It's very comfortable, not too heavy, and is wide enough that the baby will not be popping out too easily while breastfeeding.  Let's hope it works as well as I'm hoping!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Brittany! It is Sharon! I have finally gotten around to thoroughly enjoying your blogs! You are such a pretty and talented girl! The Dria looks so adorable on you and the car seat! Things are so different since I had my babies so many years ago! You & Mark are both so gifted and talented. Just look at the beautiful Life(Zoey) you have created together with God! I just love the sense of humor you all have also! You are such a special family! This will be my third try attempting to post this, so here goes again.......see you soon!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sharon! You are such an uplifting and encouraging woman! What a wonderful spiritual gift to have...I am very thankful for that! I'm so glad that the post finally came through. Take care and I hope that the Lord can speak to you and others through my posts, as well as through people like you who leave comments for me! The community of God is such a beautiful thing!

      Delete