Thursday, November 14, 2013

Hiccups and Discipleship: Learning to Abide in God's Womb

I recently experienced my baby's first set of hiccups (or at least felt them for the first time).  To my astonishment, I became a little concerned; not that my baby would be hurt or wounded by this.  But I realized that everything I do is effecting this little one in my womb.  Of course this is a "duh" moment...I've always known that what I eat and drink will effect her.  Yet it didn't really bother me until this very moment.

It scared me that she is totally dependent on me and has no control over annoyances, like hiccups, or sugar highs!!!

In "Creating With God," the book I am reading currently, the author compares the nourishment that breastfeeding gives to our babies and compares it to that of medieval art that depicts humans breastfeeding from Jesus to receive heavenly nourishment.  While this can be a disturbing thought to some people, imagining Jesus breastfeeding, it got me thinking about abiding in God. 

I have been craving God's presence in my life lately, and worrying about how I will find the time to spend with Him, have Him disciple me in His ways, and receive spiritual nourishment once my life turns upside down and becomes more hectic when the baby comes.  And then, rather than breastfeeding, I pictured myself like a baby in God's womb, receiving nourishment from Him and releasing all control as an independent person.  It was BEAUTIFUL...not physically of course!
But to imagine being so close to the creator of the universe, our creator, and being provided everything I need.  

I pray that Mark and I will learn to rest in His womb as we become more and more dependent on His provision over our lives with this move to Tanzania!

John 15:4a: "Remain in me, as I also remain in you."

No comments:

Post a Comment