Sunday, September 8, 2013

Nesting Time: Making a Cushion Cover for Baby Basket

Throughout my 2nd trimester, I have been in a crafty mood!  I love to try and make things on a tight budget...which doesn't always bring the highest quality, but usually whatever I make does the trick.
Below, you will see the steps I took to make a cushion cover for my Moses basket (my parents held on to my basket from my baby days)!  



I bought Jersey Cotton fabric, which is stretchy material.  I used the original cushion as a guide for the shape, and cut roughly 6 inches around all the edges.

I pinned the sheet where I wanted the seam, but had to cut slits around the curves to keep the material from overlapping.  When in doubt, check out this Youtube video, like I did :)

With my old 1970's sewing machine, I made the seam.

I left about an inch of the seam undone so that I could pull the elastic through the hem.  I just made a rough estimate on the length of the elastic and attached one end to a safety pin to help pull it through.

To add some extra padding, I found some iPad shipping foam at work in the junk room.

I placed the four pads together and duck taped it to secure it.

I had to add 2 small pieces, one at each end, to complete it and cut it to round out the edges, like the original cushion.

I completed the sheet by placing the original cushion on top and the homemade one on the bottom, and pulled the cover over it.

Done!!!
Can't wait to see our little Zoey in this soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment